Sunday, July 25, 2021

INTRO (Part 2): Ideas for Personalizing Your Outer Panel // Sew Together Bag sew-along

Welcome to the 2nd week of our Sew Together Bag Sew Along.  It's the final day of our INTRO portion, and then we will actually begin!  But for today, we will be talking about ideas for personalizing your bag's outer panel design, while people wait for their zippers to arrive in the mail. =)

It seems to me that for most of us, the two most intimidating parts of the Sew Together Bag are either the zippers OR deciding on the design and colors for the bag.  There are so many cute and creative ideas out there, it can almost paralyze those of us who are indecisive (me!), and make it hard to start.

Bag by Amanda @a.crafty.fox (read her post about this bag HERE)

Before I jump into a few specifics on a few designs, my number one suggestion would be to search the hashtag #sewtogetherbag on Instagram.  There are scads of variations and you're bound to find one that resonates with you!

Bag by Chrissy @SewLux (visit her website HERE)

Screen shot bags you like (or save them to one of your "folders" on IG) and then go back and look at the ones you liked.  Are you seeing a re-ocurring theme, whether it's colors... styles?  It's ok to find inspiration from other creative sewing friends!

As I was browsing the hashtag last week, I found so many cute ideas!  You will too!

But for today, here are a few of my go-to designs, and the cutting dimensions I use.


PIECED PATCHWORK STRIP

This design is very simple to do AND easy to customize.  I love throwing in a Tiny 2" Patchwork Star...


 adding an initial (we will cover applique more on week 4)

or just highlighting some of my favorite scraps.

To make the Patchwork Strip, I use: 
(5) 2.5" squares
(1)  2"x10" background fabric
(1) 10"x10" background fabric
Sew together, add interfacing, quilt, and then trim to size.


PATCHWORK
This is probably one of my current favoites.  It looks cute on it's own, or you can add applique for extra personalization!

To do this, you will need:
(35) 2.5" squares, sewn together in a 5 across x 7 down pattern.
Sew your rows together, press, interface, quilt and then trim to size.


APPLIQUE

This simple design certainly showcases whatever image you want to applique.  I know I keep saying this, but I promise I'll cover applique in Week 2.  It's not something I've done very much of - or would say I'm necessarily proficient at - but I've found the freehand method from the book Sew Illustrated to be quite fun, even for a beginner like me.  And besides that, when you add applique to an item, it makes a very special, personalized bag/gift.  


OTHER IDEAS

And these were just three (of the many) I saw this week that drew me in...

Chrissy is making this one right now, to go with our sew along.  Aren't those diamonds something else?
 photo by Chrissy @sewlux

If you haven't ever tried making tiny dresden blocks, Amanda's bag might convice you to change that! (read her blog post HERE)
Amanda @a.crafty.fox


This paper pieced bag is by Tori, and was my oldest daughter Ellie's inspiration for the bag she's going to make.

 But we pieced hers with simple patchwork, since all her letters had straight sides.)

So your homework for the week is this:
1) Decide on the design for your bag, 
2) gather up your fabric, zippers, and other supplies
3) Post a picture of your supplies and use the hashtag #sewtogetherbagSAL so we can see what each other is doig! (and be sure to tag me too! @RedRainbootsHandmade)

And next week.... we begin CUTTING AND INTERFACING!!!

Can't wait to see what colors and design you decide on!


As a reminder, here's the schedule for our Sew-Along:
(click on any previous date to be taken to that week's blog post)

July 26 - Intro (part 2): Ideas for Personalizing Your Outer Panel

Aug 2 - Week 1: Cutting + Interfacing

Aug 9 - Week 2: Outer Panel

Aug 16 - Week 3: Insides (zippers)

Aug 23 - Week 4: Attaching the Sides

Aug 30 - Week 5: Finishing It Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...