Monday, August 2, 2021

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 1: Cutting + Interfacing

Today is the day!  After 2 weeks of planning and preparing, we are going to dig in and get started on our Sew Together Bags.  


Today's post will cover:
 
- cutting out your bag pieces
- an easy way to use and cut up scraps from your scrap bins
- how to apply your interfacing.


Three things before we get started: 

1) Reading the pattern. 
I find the cutting instructions a bit confusing if I don't mark it up and make it easier to read.  So if you're like me, get out a highlighter and a pencil, and make yourself quick notes, so that all it requires is a glance between pattern and cutting table (and not a 3 minute read each time).

2) Printing your pattern.
If you have the PDF pattern, be sure that when you go to print your pattern, your printer doesn't have the setting "scale to fit" checked!!  Because if it is, your side panel template might be the incorrect size. 

3) Outer panel size adjustment
I prefer to make my outer panel a bit larger than the pattern says.  I aim for 14"x10" (or bigger if you're using a thick interfacing/stabilizer). That way if it shrinks a little during the quilting process, you can trim it to the exact size specified when you're done.

That being said, let's get started!


CUTTING
Once you start cutting, the pattern begins to make more sense... but sometimes seeing the pieces all laid out (like the photo below) helps too! 

(Also: remember to make sure your printer printed the correct size for your side panel template, and it didn't have the "shrink to fit" option selected!)

I find the easiest way to cut out the side panels is to cut 4" x WOF strips using my rotary cutter & ruler (of the fabric and interfacing)...
fold the fabric/interfacing in half and line the template on the fold...
and then use the template only to cut the diagonal line.
See... I like to make reminder notes on my pattern pieces!


CUTTING UP SCRAPS
If you're wanting to cut scraps into patchwork pieces for your Exterior Panel,  I thought I'd show you the way I've found quickest to get them cut up into usable pieces. Sometimes when digging through scrap bins, they can seem time-consuming to cut up, since they're all shapes and sizes.  I know there are many ways to tackle cutting up scraps - this is just the way I do it. 
(And please ignore my gray hair that needs re-touching!)


FUSING INTERFACING
I recommend fusing your interfacing to the fabric pieces as soon as everything is cut out.  Then it's all ready to go.
Side Panel piece + interfacing = place wrong sides together.

This video will show you how to iron fusible interfacing... (and how I like to prep my Outside Panel for quilting, but we will cover that more next week.)

Homework for this week...
- cut out ALL of your bag pieces
- iron your interfacing pieces onto your fabric pieces (If you are piecing your Outside Panel and haven't made it yet, skip interfacing that piece till it's done, obviously)
-post a picture of your progress!!  We love cheering you on and being inspired by everyone sewing together.  (Use the hashtag #sewtogetherbagSAL, and tag me too! @RedRainbootsHandmade)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julia! Thanks so much for the great explanation of cutting. Can you elaborate about the pieces that make up B1, B2, B3 and B4? If I want my insides to have a variety of fabrics, I need to know which specific sections correlate to the different "B" parts. I don't want fabric #1 to end up in the wrong place next to another fabric unintentionally. Is that asked clearly? I know I'm confusing, even to myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the wonderful details and extra tips. 🪡🪡🧵🧵♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, I was considering using Soft and Stable for the outer panel so my bag has a stiffer feel. Would you recommend that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Julia doesn't want me answering but I use soft and stable for all my outer panels, just oversize it alittle if you're going to be quilting it because it will condense alittle as you quilt it. Hope this helps and hope I'm not stepping on any toes

      Delete

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...