Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 3: Zippers + Topstitching

This week is probably the most highly anticipated week of our Sew Together Bag sew-along:  Zipper week!  This week we are adding zippers and making our pockets. 

If you don't have much previous experience sewing zippers, then I'm guessing you're either excited, nervous, or both.  But I can promise that once you've sewn one, you'll realize they aren't as hard as you thought.  And what a sense of accomplishment you'll have, as well.  

Just a quick note: Zipper feet are designed to glide along the SIDE of the zipper (rather than run over the top of the zipper teeth).  You will need to move your needle position to the right and left, depending on which size of the zipper you're sewing (but we cover all this in the video!).

I think being able to watch and see how it's done is very helpful, so this week's instruction is all on video. 


 In the video I cover:
- laying out your pocket pieces
- zipper feet (and how they work)
- getting everything pinned in place
- sewing your 9" zippers (and a few tips on this!)
- topstitching
- marking and sewing your pockets' dividing lines 

Our homework for Week 3 is everything I cover in the video:
- adding your (3) 9" zippers
- topstitching
- sewing your pockets' dividing lines


If you're learning something new, I'm excited for you to have fun this week doing it.  And for all you old pro's out there, be sure and give some encouragement/guidance to anyone who needs it!

Thanks for sewing along with me!



Sew Together Bag Sew-Along schedule:
(click on any previous date to be taken to that week's blog post)

July 26 - Intro (part 2): Ideas for Personalizing Your Outer Panel

Aug 2 - Week 1: Cutting + Interfacing

Aug 9 - Week 2: Outer Panel

Aug 16 - Week 3: Insides (zippers)

Aug 23 - Week 4: Attaching the Sides

Aug 30 - Week 5: Finishing It Up!


6 comments:

  1. I’m missing the link for the video. Where do I click? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the bottom of the page there is an option for ‘View Web Version’. I clicked on that and was able to view the video. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! That did the trick.

      Delete
  2. Julia, suppose I wanted to make a couple of the interior pockets clear vinyl...which pieces would I need to cut from vinyl? I'm guessing both the lining and pocket lining. Would that be right? It's so hard to picture which pieces become the finished parts of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video answered all of my questions!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...