Monday, August 23, 2021

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 4: Attaching the Sides (and Binding!)

It's week 4 of our Sew Together Bag SAL, and if you've made it this far, you made it through zippers!  What did you think?  Easier than you thought? (I'll try not to say I told you so!) And isn't it fun to learn something new?

This week we will be attaching the SIDES (and side bindings), which instantly transforms this into a 3-dimensional bag.  


I've broken the videos down into smaller chunks, so you can watch whatever steps you need help with. Through the videos I often mention helpful tips - things I've learned along the way to make this bag a bit easier - so I'd suggest giving the videos a watch before you get started (if you have the time), because you might pick up a few things that make it more effortless.

*One thing I would like to mention: If you're going to add a label to your bag, now would be the time!  (I forgot to add mine at this point, and as you can see in the photo above, and it's harder to add it later on.)

Prep the zipper pockets for the side panels
-clean up (trim) the sides of your zipper pockets
-stitch 1/8" along sides of zipper pockets (don't stitch past the 3.5" pocket line!)
-zig zag along edge (I skip this step, since I sew on a juki and it's only a straight stitch and I'm lazy!)


Sew your side panel pieces
Don't forget to:
- pivot at the corners

- increase your stitch length when you topstitch!
In my video, I share a simple way to mark your side panels.


Attach the side panels to the zipper pockets


Attach the inside of your bag to the outer panel, and adding side bindings.

And there you have it!  Have fun sewing!




If you want to reference previous posts, here's the links:





1 comment:

  1. Your videos have been a huge help for me! I've made lots of zipper bags before, but these instructions are not easy for me to understand.

    ReplyDelete

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...