Sunday, July 25, 2021

Tiny 2" Patchwork Star Tutorial


These little stars are something I first added to the outer panels on my Sew Together Bags years ago,  and since then I've thrown them into mini quilts and pillow shams, and recently I've been mulling over an idea to incorporate them into tiny Christmas tree ornaments.  They are 2" finished, and just so cute.

Today I thought it would be fun to share with you how I make them.

But one thing before you dive in:  Try to be extra precise with your 1/4" seam - not too big, and not too small.  Because these are so tiny, even the smallest bit either way will affect how they come together.  That being said, let's get started!


CUTTING
(1) white 2 1/4" square
(4) white 1" squares
(1) red 1 1/2" square
(4) red 1 3/8" squares

Step 1 - Draw diagonal lines on the wrong side of the (4) red 1 3/8" squares.

Step 2 - Place (2) of the 1 3/8" red squares on opposite corners of the large white 2 1/4" square, right sides together.

Step 3 - Sew 1/4" on each side of the drawn line, and cut apart on the line.


Step 4 - Press the red triangles open, and place the remaining (2) squares on the other corner, sew on both sides, and cut apart.

Step 5 - Press open and trim off corners.  Aren't those tiny flying geese adorable?

Step 6 - Lay out your star, sew your rows together, and press!

And you have it!  The tiniest, little patchwork star!  I hope you have fun making them.



3 comments:

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...