Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Busy Bags

A friend of mine on Instagram (Bonnie - @greenletterday) released her new Tessa Basket Pattern, which is darling and easy!

I've been wanting to make each of my girls a Busy Bag - a bag for those times when little ones need to be able to sit quietly (church or Bible study), and have a few things to do.  Using the Tessa Basket Pattern, I added in a bunch of pockets to organize markers and hold crayons, little pads of paper, snacks, small toys, or whatever!  The bag dimensions are perfect for holding a large coloring book, as well as a water bottle and even a few other things, with the added magnetic snap at the top to keep everything snug.
I wrote up an free add-on pattern for the things I added (pockets & magnetic snap), so you can make some too! I also changed the way you finish the bag, making the lining smooth vs. the seam line in the bottom.
 
Tessa Basket Pattern: (PDF pattern available here).
Busy Bag (add-on) Pattern: (PDF pattern available here)
 
These are such fun bags to make, and they're pretty darn cut, too.
I don't think they're excited to start using them, do you?
And if you make some yourself, be sure to tag Bonnie (@greenletterday) and me (@redrainbootshandmade) on Instagram!

4 comments:

  1. These bags are adorable, Julia! I love the pocket organizers you added. That would make this bag perfect for portable craft projects, like my needleturn applique that I work on when MOMMY needs to sit quietly with a Busy Bag -- like in the carpool line, during my son's violin lesson, waiting at the doctor's office... I think I'd get frowned at if I whipped out my stitching projects at church during the sermon, though! :-) Thanks for sharing your value-add for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.
    luxury italian leather handbags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I downloaded this pattern from the Bluprint site but I can't seem to find the originas Tessa Basket Pattern anywhere. Do you know where I can get it? I already sent a message to the designer on Etsy but haven't gotten a reply yet. Thank you for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Sew Together Bag SAL // Week 5: Finishing It Up! (last zipper + bindings)

Ok - Technically I should have waited a week for this, but I just couldn't help myself!  We need to get these cute Sew Together bags fin...